Occupational Therapy Help

FAQ about Occupational Therapy

FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions about TOTAL ABILITY and Occupational Therapy

bottom border


  • Private Occupational Therapy is paid for by the you our client, you the parent or a third party payer.
  • If you have extended health care benefit insurance, it may cover Occupational Therapy. You may submit your paid receipt for Occupational Therapy to your insurance company to be reimbursed by them.
  • You or your employer may also pay for Occupational Therapy at work. If you have a work-related injury, Occupational Therapy at work helps! Please speak to your employer.
  • If you have an illness or injury from a motor vehicle accident, Occupational Therapy may be covered under your auto insurance plan. Ask your physician for a referral (often required by motor vehicle accident insurance companies) and speak to your insurer about Occupational Therapy.
  • If you are receiving long term disability benefits or critical illness benefits, your benefits may cover Occupational Therapy. Ask your physician for a referral (often required by disability insurance companies) and then speak to your insurer about Occupational Therapy.
  • If you are a Canadian armed forces member or veteran, the Department of National Defense or Veterans Affairs Canada may cover Occupational Therapy. Ask the Department of National Defense or Veterans Affairs Canada.
  • Community organizations, churches, service groups and unions may also support their members by paying for private Occupational Therapy. Ask for their help.
  • If you have a social worker helping you, s/he is often a great help in finding other resources to help pay for therapies including Occupational Therapy. Ask your social worker too!
  • Occupational Therapy is a tax deductible medical expense per Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Our private, group Occupational Therapy programs for your child at TOTAL ABILITY™ meet the criteria for Canada Revenue Agency’s art tax credit or fitness tax credit when we offer them.


  • Private, individual clients pay for TOTAL ABILITY™ Occupational Therapy help at the end of each session, by cash, cheque or Visa or MasterCard.
  • Private, individual clients will be provided with standardized assessment results and/or Occupational Therapy reports only upon receipt of payment

  • You may wish to seek private Occupational Therapy if you or your child are on a waiting list for public Occupational Therapy or if you want to supplement the Occupational Therapy you or your child is receiving with a public Occupational Therapist.
  • It is very important to let your private Occupational Therapist know that you are waiting for public Occupational Therapist or if you have seen a public Occupational Therapist in the past. Likewise, when you first see a public Occupational Therapist it is important to let him/her know that you or your child have been seen by a private Occupational Therapist in the past or are seeing one currently. It is also helpful to share any written reports or recommendations with both Occupational Therapists.
  • Finally, you may wish to have both public and private Occupational Therapists work with you and your child concurrently. If so, it is critical for you to communicate who is addressing which Occupational Therapy goal in treatment.

  • Our Occupational Therapy services are mobile, which means we come to you!
  • A TOTAL ABILITY™ Occupational Therapist will visit you by pre-arranged appointment.
  • A TOTAL ABILITY™ Occupational Therapist will help your child at home, daycare or school; you at your home or office; an employee on the job site; your senior parent at their home, special care or nursing home.
  • TOTAL ABILITY™ provides FREE travel by the Occupational Therapist for mobile visits in greater Saint John, Fredericton and Moncton, New Brunswick in the following postal codes: E2E, E2G, E2H, E2J, E2K, E2L, E2M, E2N, E2P, E2R, E3A, E3B, E3C, E3E, E1A, E1B, E1C, E1E, E1G (private paying parents).
  • Visits for mobile Occupational Therapy will incur a flat rate travel fee for the following postal codes: E2S, E5J, E5K, E5N, E5R, E5S, E4E, E4G, E5H, E5M, E5P, E5T, E3L, E5A, E5B, E5C, E2V, E6L, E4B, E5L, E5M, E6B, E6E, E6G, E6K, E4A, E4C, E6B, E6H, E6J, E7M, E7N, E7P, E1J, E1H, E4J, E4K, E4L, E4M, E4N, E4P, E4R, E4H, E4S, E4T, E4V, E4W, E4Z
  • Travel fees may apply for third party funders.
  • If you live, work or go to school outside of our FREE travel postal codes, our travel fees are modest. Alternatively, we can rent space at a modest cost to you within our postal code limits for you to come to us OR we can visit you at a secure location you provide within our FREE travel postal code limits (e.g. a family member’s home, a church).

  • TOTAL ABILITY™ provides copies of reports to parents and clients a copy of a report when requested and when paid for. Third parties, such as health care professionals, should request a copy of our report directly from parents or clients.
  • In exceptional circumstances, TOTAL ABILITY™ may release a report to a third party, when that party provides a written request and consent from the parent to TOTAL ABILITY™ for the report and TOTAL ABILITY™ has then confirmed with the parent both that they wish their child’s report to be released and the parent has paid the administrative fee to TOTAL ABILITY™ to cover the costs of the third party communication.

  • TOTAL ABILITY™ completes a formal, written report when we complete standardized assessment and/or when requested by a client, parent or funding source.
  • TOTAL ABILITY™ does not complete a formal, written report for all clients, as some clients, funders or parents choose not to authorize a report of that nature.
  • Parents may always be provided with copies of our handwritten clinic visit notes or recommendations.

What Question Do You Have For Total Ability? We Can Answer It.

For Private, Mobile Occupational Therapy Help By Appointment.

Contact Us 1.877.784.5353 or 506.847.0677

Share on LinkedIn0Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Tweet about this on Twitter
Contact us for Occupational Therapy help in Greater Saint John, Fredericton and Moncton, New Brunswick.

Help is as close as your phone. Call us discuss your situation.